As expected the lawsuits are starting to pour in. Travis Scott and Live Nation are being sued by concertgoers who suffered losses or sustained injuries following a crowd surge at his Astroworld festival in Houston that left at least eight people dead, including a 14-year old.
Billboard reports a man named Manuel Souza filed a lawsuit on Saturday in Harris County District Court accusing both Scott and Live Nation of gross negligence. Souza claims their incompetence resulted in him sustaining injuries during the chaos that unfolded in NRG park Friday night.
The lawsuit claims the disaster was the direct result of “a motivation for profit at the expense of concertgoers’ health and safety” and the “encouragement of violence.”
“Defendants failed to properly plan and conduct the concert in a safe manner,” wrote Souza’s attorney, Steve Kherkher of the firm Kherkher Garcia LLP. “Instead, they consciously ignored the extreme risks of harm to concertgoers, and, in some cases actively encouraged and fomented dangerous behaviors.”
Souza says the chaotic events were ‘predictable’ and could have been prevented if the organizers paid attention to an earlier incident in which “concertgoers breached a security gate around the park, stampeded into the premises, and trampled over one another.”
The lawsuit describes how the organizers allowed the show to continue “despite the extreme risk of harm to concertgoers that was escalating by the moment.”
“Eventually, due to defendants’ active decision to let the show go on, the scene devolved into a complete melee, resulting in the needless, untimely death of at least 8 people and injuries to scores of others,” Souza’s attorneys wrote.
Souza says Travis has a history of encouraging violence at his concerts and i seeking at least $1 million in damages.
In addition to naming Scott and Live Nation as defendants, the lawsuit also named Scott’s Cactus Jack Records, Scoremore, LLC and several other individuals and companies involved in the event.
Souza’s attorneys are also asking for a temporary restraining order preventing any destruction of evidence, which could be heard in court as soon Monday.
Another concertgoer Kristian Paredes, who says she was injured in the disaster, filed a lawsuit against Travis Scott and Live Nation, and also names Drake and Harris County Sports and Convention Corporation.
Drake had been on stage with Travis during his performance and she claims that Drizzy helped whip the crowd into a frenzy, and is therefore responsible for the deadly stampede that followed later on.
In court documents obtained by TMZ, Paredes says that given Scott’s concert history (Travis has been arrested twice for inciting crowds and there have been crowd injuries at multiple Scott shows) the organizers, security and Drake should have been more careful.
Paredes is also seeking at least a million dollars in damages.