Rihanna becomes the latest musician to send a cease and desist letter to Donald Trump over the use of her music in his rallies.
The Grammy winning singer became aware of her song being used at his events when Washington Post reporter Philip Rucker tweeted “It’s been said a million times, but here’s a million and one — Trump’s rallies are unlike anything else in politics. Currently, Rihanna’s ‘Don’t Stop the Music’ is blaring in Chattanooga as aides toss free Trump T-shirts into the crowd, like a ball game. Everyone’s loving it.”
Rihanna responded to the tweet saying, ”Not for much longer…me nor my people would ever be at or around one of those tragic rallies, so thanks for the heads up philip!”
Keeping to her words, the Fenty creator through her lawyer has issued a cease and desist letter to Trump.
“It has come to our attention that President Trump has utilized [Rihanna’s] musical compositions and master recordings, including her hit track ‘Don’t Stop the Music,’ in connection with a number of political events held across the United States,” Rihanna’s legal team wrote in a letter obtained by Rolling
Stone. “As you are or should be aware, Ms. Fenty has not provided her consent to Mr. Trump to use her music. Such use is therefore improper.”
RiRi’s legal team says Trump’s unauthorized use of her music “creates a false impression that Ms. Fenty is affiliated with, connected to or otherwise associated with Trump,”
Just last week pharrell Williams threatened to sue the U.S. leader after he played “Happy” at one of his rallies last month. “On the day of the mass murder of 11 human beings at the hands of a deranged ‘nationalist,’ you played his song ‘Happy’ to a crowd at a political event in Indiana,” Pharrell’s legal team writes. “There was nothing ‘happy’ about the tragedy inflicted upon our country on Saturday and no permission was granted for your use of this song for this purpose.”